Saturday, June 19, 2010

Duck tales from long ago


Lise and I met in First Grade at Marymount School, 1026 Fifth Avenue, New York City. Here we are in first grade at Marymount School. Lise is the one on the left in the second row, and I am in the middle of the first row.

I know many people that remember meeting friends but I do not remember meeting Lise. She was just there. As were most of my classmates. Lise and I attended Marymount for 12 years.

I do remember my first visit to Marymount the spring before starting and visiting that classroom with Mother Timothy. There was a diorama of some clay animals in a box. "Oh, look, Giselle's camel has fallen over," Mother Timothy said straightening the tiny clay creature. I can still see the scene, the window, the view of the inner courtyard from the window that had iron bars in front of it with the diorama on the window sill. I was thrilled. I expected that in first grade we would make clay animals everyday. I waited all year to make a clay camel but we never did that.


I remember being a little jealous of Lise. It seemed to me that she always had money for the school store and could buy candy. She would buy Mint Juleps and I always wanted some. However, my mother would not give me money for these delectable candies. I felt a bit like Amy in Little Women who wanted to be able to buy pickled limes to give her friends. I really wanted to buy Mint Juleps to pay back my freinds who occasionally shared them with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment