Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Duck Decides


Duck Derby 2009, Allen's Pond, Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Courtesy of Allen's Pond Wildlife Sanctuary and Kathy Bartel

One of the great things about this prize is how wonderful my friends have been. Everyone has expressed genuine delight with my good fortune. However, most have tried to talk me into going somewhere further away than France. The suggestions fall into two categories: 1) Go as far away as possible because a 20 hour plane trip makes it a better prize! These well-wishers have suggested everywhere from Australia and New Zealand to Singapore, and China. 2) People suggest the place they or their family came from including Italy, Japan, and Cape Verde. All are excellent ideas; this is a big world with many possibilities.

However, for me it is always about people. Thus, on June 26, two days after school ends, Roger and I will travel to the French Alps to visit Lise. Our friendship goes back to first grade. Lise has lived in France for more than three decades, has three children, and two grandchildren. for years, Lise has been asking me to visit her in Revel, a small village in the French Alps above Grenoble. Now, thanks to a little rubber duck, I will travel to France to visit her. I will also get to see her daughter, Caroline, my goddaughter, who was flower girl in our wedding 30 years ago this summer! I am also looking forward to meeting Caroline's children, Elaine (who was born on my birthday!) and Elowan who has just turned one!

Lise has been great about helping us plan this trip. She has even chosen the restaurant where we will eat, Le Restaurant Paul Bocuse in Lyon. Lise tells me that she had the best meal ever there. In any event, good food tastes better when we share it with good friends! I would be happy with bread and cheese on a mountainside but Lise wants us to have the full French gastronomic experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment